Thursday 26 June 2014

Go fly a kite


Grenada has a strong affinity for flying kites.  Traditionally at Easter there is a kite flying festival/competition where young and old gather to fly kites after the Sunday worship service.  Prizes are awarded and great fun is had by all.  There is also the tradition of making a Cocoa Riggy kite, which is made from a cocoa leaf.  Building a Cocoa Riggy will be on my to-do list with the boys while we are away. Kite flying in Grenada has become such an popular pastime for the Grenadians that the government had to release a statement earlier this year prohibiting kite flying in certain areas to protect the safety of aviation.

Sitting in the shade of my 16m Crossbow
 
Kites of a different kind will become my main passion while in Grenada. My kites I will involve me, a board and the water. I am very excited to start kiteboarding and plan to kite during my free time. I have been wanting to try this sport for many years now and this is my opportunity. I feel giddy thinking about it; it brings back great memories of windsurfing in my high school/college days.  Sara has been very supportive of this as the sport does come with a heavy upfront financial investment; but after that as they say, the wind is free.
 
 

 
 
While the trade winds make for some great sailing in Grenada there do not seem to be any shops or schools in the area that focus on kiteboarding.  I am doing all my training to learn kiteboarding while I am in Ontario so I will be prepared when I arrive. I have received some help in choosing gear and would like to thank Pete, a co-worker, as I have been bending his ear quite a bit lately. Also the advice and gear I got from Bruce and his staff at Silent Sports in Thornhill, ON. 



Tuning the Bar and lines



This weekend I am heading off for some IKO lessons from Daniel and Sam Medysky at Sauble Beach on Lake Huron.
 



 
Check in next week to see how the lessons went.





Sara is upping the life insurance just in case ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment